Monday, July 26, 2010

Summer Heat and Project Healing Waters


, it's still hot.  I went to my favorite local lake last night to see if I could manage to catch a few fish.  This lake is about 35 acers and is about 40' deep at the deepest point.

I decided to drop my thermometer in the lake to see the temp.  I dropped it about 18" down and left it there for about 10 minutes as I fished.  The reading was 88 degrees.  That's warm water for darn sure.  Needless to say, I didn't catch much.

In fact, all I've caught in the past couple weeks were some bluegill like the one pictured above.

Shifting gears, a couple weeks ago, I saw a request posted on one of the fly fishing forums where a guy was working with Project Healing Waters to take a group of wounded and recovering US Military Vets out fishing.  He had a request for help in tying some flies.  They are going to go to a freshly stocked stream to increase the chances the guys will  catch some fish.

Being that it's really hot and this is a very good cause, I tied up about 3 dozen woolie buggers (in the colors and sizes requested) and some SJ worm soft hackles.  Hope the guys catch some fish on the flies.

Being a weatherman in Cincinnati between June and August has to be the easiest job in the universe.  Make a recording on June 15th, "Hazy, Hot, Humid, Chance of Afternoon Thunderstorms." and then just play it every day until the end of August.  Job well done.

Well, that's all for now.  Tight Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment