Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Some fish from last week

I've been hitting the water a lot the past few weeks averaging about 5 evenings per week.  I really enjoy fishing this time of year before it gets too hot.  I had the pontoon out a couple times and am still working on customizing it for my needs.  I did get a trolling motor for it (A MinKota 30lb thrust).  The little motor pushes the pontoon very well.  At speed 5, it really scoots.  I mainly tool around the lake on 1 and 2 because I'm really in no hurry to get anywhere when I'm fishing.  In fact, I row the boat almost as much as I use the motor.  I find the motor really good to help keep it in position on breezy days.

After the jump are a few pictures of the average kind and size of fish I've been catching.  I'm not a big fish counter but I've probably brought in over 150 fish this spring.  I just forget to count and the numbers are not really that important to me.  I just treasure the time on the water. 

I did buy a waterproof bible to keep in my storage box in the boat.  I've spent some time just drifting around on the lake reading.


Here are a few fish pictures.


Even though I have the pontoon, I do fish from the shore a lot.  One thing I find is I get to meet a lot of really interesting people while fishing and on the boat it's harder to chat with folks.

Tonight, I met a guy named Paul (not my friend Paul from Oregon, although this guy reminded me of him a little).  This Paul is 70 years old.  His wife passed away a few years ago and he served in the military back in the early 60's.  We talked about life and stuff for about 45 minutes.  He's a heck of a good fisherman and brought in several nice bass while we were talking.  I've seen him at the lake before but this was the first time we sat and talked for any length of time.  He's an interesting guy.

Thre is another couple who have a huge white dog and walk it around the lake I usually fish.  They walk their dog almost every evening.  By now, the dog knows me and always stops by to sniff and say hello.  The husband and wife usually ask if I'm catching anything and stop by for a few minutes to chat.

There is a father and son who fish there a lot too.  Last summer, I watched the father catch a 7lb bass while we were talking and fishing.  They're interesting guys too.

There are just a lot of interesting people one can meet fishing and the boat makes that a little harder.

I do sometimes like the solitude of fishing from the boat, especially when I can just float along, read and cast when I feel like it.

I did catch a pretty decent bluegill last night and didn't have an anchor set.  The gill pulled me all around the cove I was in before I could get him to hand. :-)

Well, that's about it for the fishing report today.  I do hope everyone is out fishing and having a great spring.  Anyone from Tennessee who may be reading this, I hope you're high and dry.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment