Monday, April 5, 2010

Thunderstorms and lightning rods

I managed to get out and do some fishing today.  Unfortunately, there was a severe thunderstorm watch issued for my area.  After about 30 minutes at the lake, I started hearing thunder off in the distance.  After another 15 or 20 minutes, the thunder was getting louder but no visible lightning.  By the time I got to the car and started breaking stuff down, there was a pretty fair amount of cloud to cloud lightning visible off to the west and by the time I got home (20 or so minutes later) we were in the middle of a thunderstorm including pea sized hail, strong wind gusts and torrential downpour rain.

I love thunderstorms from the safety of my house, being stuck out in one while fishing is just dangerous.  I packed it up and came home. 

There's just something about standing by a lake with a 9' graphite lightning rod in one's hand that makes thunder take on new significance...

Although I don't know anyone who has seen it, but I have heard lightning can strike many miles from the storm.  I've always figured when the thunder is more than just a distant rumble, it's time to be moving toward the car.  As much as I enjoy fishing, living to fish another day is pretty important in my plans for the day.

A little rain isn't going to hurt anyone but when the lightning and thunder starts kicking up, it's time to head home.

Be safe out there.  Spring thunderstorm season is in full swing in many parts of the country.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment