Friday, February 5, 2010

Wintry Mix

I always love it when the weather guy talks about "wintry mix".  They almost make it sound appetising like something good to eat.  Yumm, take a bag of wintry mix along the next time you go fishing.  It's healthy, gives you endless energy and won't make you fat.".  Yes, "wintry mix" sounds like the perfect foodstuff.

Read more of my "weather rant" after the jump:


Unfortunately, those of us who work and have to drive in "wintry mix" know it is really not a new high energy sports enhancement food nor is it a new sugary snack.  Nope, "wintry mix" is indeed something quite different.

My old friend "wintry mix" is nothing short of the most despicable form of malformed weather to hit the Midwest each season.  For those of you who may live in areas where you're not treated to this little present from Mother Nature, allow me to explain what "wintry mix" really is.

As its name suggests, it is a mixed bag of everything winter has to throw at us.  It consists of cold rain, sleet, freezing rain, and snow.  Some days, our old friend the mix will come and go doing nothing more than making life inconvenient for a few hours as the weather decides if it's going to rain or snow.  Here in Kentucky, we usually end up with a brief period of snow and then cold rain.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no use for cold rain, but given the alternative resolution to the wintry mix problem, well, cold rain is not all that bad.

Today, the National Weather Service has issues a winter storm warning.  The weather guy is all excited because it's the first winter storm of the season.  It's going to start with our old friend Mr. Wintry Mix and then, after laying down a layer of ice, turn to all snow.

Here is the relevant quote from the NWS: "AND CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF AN INCH OR TWO IS POSSIBLE TODAY... WITH FOUR TO SIX INCHES EXPECTED OVERNIGHT... AND AN ADDITIONAL INCH POSSIBLE ON SATURDAY. TOTAL SNOWFALL FROM THIS SYSTEM WILL BE FROM SIX TO EIGHT INCHES"

Yes, you read that right, 6-8" on top of a layer of ice.

Yippie I can't wait to get out and shovel that garbage off of my driveway tomorrow.

Any of you guys living somewhere warm, I hope you're catching fish and yes, I am jealous as I look out of my office window this morning at the start of wintry mix.

Happy weekend... I hope to get some new flies tied.  I'll post them next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment