Thursday, February 11, 2010

More Weather Rant

What's going on in the world of Kentucky Fly fishing?  Absolutely nothing.

Snow - ugh
what is it good for?
Absolutely nothing!

Let's see, what can a fly fisherman do when there's a foot of snow on the ground, all the water is in a solid form and it's too cold to go out and fish even if liquid water could be found?

Well, I could spend more time in the office but that isn't going to be much fun.  I already spend enough time in the office so spending more is out of the question.


That leaves tying flies, playing guitar, reading about other people fishing and marking days off the calendar until the sun shines warm again, the hills turn a thousand shades of green and the fish start biting again.

By my trusty calendar, mid-April is about 7 weeks away.  That translates to approximately 49 days or 1,176 hours.  What to do for the next 1,176 hours?  I'll spend about 392 of it sleeping (that helps pass the non-fishing time quickly), hopefully not more than 325 working, about 20 behind the wheel of my car, That leaves about 439 hours to split up between eating, bathing (once a month regardless of if I need it or not), playing guitar, doing stuff at Church and tying flies.


One may thing 439 hours is a lot of time, but really, it's not that much time at all. At an average of about 6 flies per hour (including set up, clean up and putting away stuff), that's about 74 flies.  I have to get my hour or so a day in on the guitar or I start having string withdrawal symptoms.


So, while 7 weeks or 1,176 hours may seem like a very long time, it really is not that much time at all.

Before we know it, the days will be warm, the mornings will be cool, there will be lots of bluegills in love in the shallows, bass will be on the prowl, crappie schools will be in shallower water and fishing will be fine.


"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."


 
Everyone, stay warm, stay dry, keep repeating to yourself, 1,176 hours left (wow, 1,175 since the last time I looked at the clock.  See, time does go by fast!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment