Monday, January 18, 2010

Fly Tying Series #6 Experimental Flies

This week in the fly tying series, I'm going to show a couple fies which should work but I haven't fished with them yet so I'm calling them experimental.  These are all pretty well tried and true patterns using some unconventional materials..


Read more about these flies after the break.  The first fly is a boa yarn leach and the second is similar but using "fun fur" from Joann's Fabrics.

Have fun and remember, what other fishermen think of your flies is far less important than what the fish think!

The first fly is one that is talked about a lot over on the Fly Anglers Online bulletin board.  I won't post a lot of photos on the tying steps as they are already over on that website.

Here's the link for the thing instructions over on FAOL.
FAOL Boa Leach

Let's start by asking "what the heck is boa yarn?"  Here's a link to the Joann's Fabrics Website to see what this boa yarn stuff is.  It's hard to describe so a picture is worth a thousand words.

Because I haven't tied many of these nor have I fished with them yet, I tie them pretty much the same way as Rick ties them in the link above.  I did tie a couple with a few wraps of lead wire around the hook shank but am assuming once they get wet, they'll probably sink like a stone.

After laying down a good base of thread, tie in the boa yarn at the hook curve.  The fibers should be facing away from the hook eye. and then take the thread up to about one eye distance from the hook eye, this is going to be the tie off point.



Next, wrap it to the front brushing the fibers back with each wrap.  I have a rotary vise (Peak) and this is where the rotary feature comes in handy. 


TIP:I have found when using the rotary feature of the vise to wrap materials up the hook shank, a simple half hitch at wherever the tie off point is going to be seems to help but that's just me, your mileage may differ.

Last, tie it off, make a slightly cone shaped thread head whip finish, and if you like, a couple drops of head cement (clear fingernail polish) isn't going to hurt anything.

Here's the finished fly:



I am going to tie up a couple of these with some marabou tails and some with Krystal flash or tinsel or flashibou (is that spelled right?) to give some extra "flash".  Again, this is an experimental fly for me so I need to see what "my" fish like.

These next couple flies are tied the same way but are using a different material.  While at Joann's fabrics looking for Boa Yarn, I came across this stuff called Fun Fur Yarn and thought it looked interesting.  This is a link to Fun Fur Yarn.  It's not as heavy or as dense as the Boa Yarn and when wrapped around a hook is kind of "spindly".

I don't know how it's going to work, but thought the flies looked "buggy" and wanted to give it a try.  I tied a couple with bead heads, a couple with marabou and tinsel in the tail, and one with tinsel as an underlayment on the hook ant then using open wraps bringing the fun fur up the hook shank for a "candy cane" look.

Who knows, these may be flops, or they may end up being a "go to " fly.  Here are some photos should you decide to experiment a little.






Hope you all have some fun with these and I hope they catch as many fish as they look like they should.  I can't wait until the water temps warm up enough for the bluegill, bass, and crappie to start moving about so I can give these guys a try.

Next week, we'll get a little more traditional with some top water flies and one experimental fly.  The top water fly next week goes by a lot of different names, over on the FAOL message board, they call it a "gurgle pop" but I've seen other variants of this fly with ones on shorter shank hooks being spiders etc.  It's really just a basic foam bodied attractor fly but it sure does catch a bunch of fish.

Here's a peek:


No comments:

Post a Comment