Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Best time to fish and apology

First, I apologize for not getting the popping bugs up yet.  It has been crazy with work the past few days and by the time I get off and wind down enough to concentrate on writing up a tying article, the last thing I want to do is write up an article.  I promise I'll have it up before teh weekend.  Over the weekend, if I can get some energy and it's not too awful cold in my tying room, I'm going to attempt some deer hair which may be next week's flies.  If nothing else, it should be good for a laugh so I'd advise you to check it out when they're posted.  I'm not much of a deer hair spinner so it may be a good exercise in what not to do..

OK, when is the best time to fish?

Let me start by saying I'm 49 years old and have been fishing pretty hard since I was 9.  In the grand scheme of fishing experience, 40 years does not buy much.  However, I am quick learner and spend a lot of time observing and noting when I catch fish.

I've read the solunar tables, fishing reports, and gathered all the information I can about fishing.  Fishing and playing guitar are my passions.  I am a much better fisherman than guitarist but I love doing both.  Work, on the other hand, is something I have to do so that I can afford the things I love to do.

Over the years, I've learned and observed fishing is really not a thing that can be measured by A + B + C = Fish.

Yes, there are times when fish are less likely to bite. For example, when a major cold front blows through in the summer, fish will be put down for a spell. I don't know why and I'm sure some scientist can tell me, but as a fisherman, I know I'm less likely to be catching fish on those days.

When there is a strong Northeast gale and a storm is raging, I'm less likely to catch fish.

When there is a summer thunderstomr and lightning is flashing, I'm less likely to catch fish.  Mainly this is because standing by a body of water with a 9' graphite lightning rod in my hand is not my idea of a healthy way to spend an afternoon.  The fish may bite just fine in these circumstances and in my younger days I have proven that to be correct.  Now that I'm older and wiser, you will not find me on the water under such conditions.

When the lakes are frozen over and the ice is too thin to support my substantial weight, fishing is going to be poor.

With all that said, I have also observed over the years that I really do not fish to catch fish.  To be honest, I don't care if I catch fish or not.  Yes, catching fish is great fun but it's not really why I fish.

I fish to get away from the stress of my job and find some quiet time.  One of my favorite Bible stories is from 1 Kings.  God tole Elija to go to the mountain and wait for His word.  There was a storm, a fire, an earthquake and a great wind.  God's voice was in none of those.  At the end, God spoke in a quiet wisper.

In today's life, we have so much background noise it becomes difficult to hear that quiet wisper.

In the end, I've determined the best time to go fishing is anytime you CAN go fishing.  Who cares if you catch 100 fish or you catch 0 fish?  Catching fish is not the reason to fish.  If you have caught youself fishing to catch fish, I would ask you to think about what you love in fishing and what is really important.  I think you may realize, as have I, that catching is only one reason we fish but not necessarily the most important one.

Have a great day, stay warm, tie some flies and think about the next fishing trip.  Springtime is only a couple months away!!

No comments:

Post a Comment