Monday, December 21, 2009

Thoughts on being a fishing bum.

OK, I'll admit it, my life's ambition is to be a fishing bum.  More specifically, a target shooting, guitar playing fishing bum.  Unfortunately, I have this little thing called wor... WHO.. wwwwoo. oh well, that thing I have to do 5 days a week so I can afford to do the things I love to do 2 days a week.  Somehow, that balance seems somewhat unfair, but that's the way it is.  With any luck, I have about 4 more years to go to that same place at the same time every day and leave at some unspecified time that ends up being whenever the wor.. wo. wwwoor. that word I have trouble saying, is finished.

Let's take a closer look at what a fishing bum really is.
Dictionary.com defines bum in the following way:

"1. a person who avoids work and sponges on others; loafer; idler.


2. a tramp, hobo, or derelict.

3. Informal. an enthusiast of a specific sport or recreational activity, esp. one who gives it priority over work, family life, etc.: a ski bum; a tennis bum.

4. Informal. an incompetent person. "
Dictionary.com goes on to say a bum is one who: sponges on others for a living; leads an idle or dissolute life.

Hmm, now if I think about it, I really am a bum in training.  There have been many times I took off work early (half day vacation :-) ) to go fishing.  I've avoided work around the house to go fishing.  I've planned family vacations around fishing.  This past summer, my son and I went to Oregon to "visit" my friend Paul and go fishing.  While there, I did manage to sponge a few meals off of Paul's good graces.  Heck, Paul even hooked us up with a celebrity in the fly fishing world and got us access to a couple lakes on his private farm.  Unfortunately, I have been sworn to secrecy at risk of sudden and painful removal of fly rods from my hands if I were to ever say who this celebrity is or give any type of location to his farm.  In fact, Paul and his best friend Keith got us so lost and turned around by their "accidental" wrong turns and "turn arounds" that I couldn't find this secret location again if my life depended upon it. Let's just say, there were some nice fish there and that is probably saying too much.  But "leads an idle or dissolute life" being a trait of bumdom, I can probably get away with this one indiscretion.

Paul, on the other hand is my hero.  Paul is, indeed, a fishing bum on a full time status.  He and Keith are nearing the state of perfection as fishing bums.

So, what does one bum in training do when with a mentor bum (bum mentor's abbreviation BM just didn't seem fitting)?  He spends a week living the life of a fishing bum, of course.

Jeff & Dan being fishing bums:


Now, what does a real fishing bum look like?  Here is a guy I ran across on one of the Oregon rivers.  I believe this gentleman has the right look to be a proper fishing bum:
Photobucket

Notice the hat, the fishpond vest, the delicate grip on the fly rod, the "I'm going to stuff that camera up your backside if you take another picture" look on his face.  Yes, a proper fishing bum.

Here's another guy that has potential to be a fishing bum.  I also ran across this guy on a river in Oregon.
Photobucket

For a better look at a future fishing bum in training, one has to look no farther than this photo:
Photobucket

And a couple handsome fishing bums in training on an undisclosed "sworn to secrecy" river somewhere in Oregon.
Photobucket

That's about it today.  We've established that being a fishing bum is a state of mind as much as anything else.  In order to be a full time fishing bum, one must give up his job, luxuries, warm bed, etc.  To be a bum in training, all one has to do is be willing to give up these things more frequently than makes one comfortable.




No comments:

Post a Comment