Friday, December 18, 2009

First Blog Post

Over the past couple years, I've been reading so much about invasive species such as didymo, Whirling Disease, and New Zealand Mud Snails, and others that one has to wonder how they got here and how they are really spreading. Several areas have banned felt wading boots as a way to stop the spread. On the US Government website (http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/aquatics/didymo.shtml) it says it's been around in Canada since the late 1800s but it didn't really start causing problems until the 1990's. What caused something that has been around for so long to all of a sudden start causing problems? I don't know and it seems none of the experts do either.



Here is a pretty good video by Fish & Game New Zealand:


With so many manufacturers starting to shy away from felt soles and so many streams starting to ban their use, I guess the next time I buy wading boots, I'll have to go with the new rubber soled ones. The problem is the reports I've read show them as being "almost" as good as the felt soled ones.

Here's a pretty decent article from Mid Current discussing the differences in performance rubber vs. felt:
The Truth about Feltless Soles

Here is one from Field & Stream:
Get Studs for Rubber Soles

Here is an editorial piece from the Idaho Statesman
Is it time to get rubber soles?

This is from Ian Rutler's Blog (Ian is a guide I've fished with in the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee).
Sticky Rubber vs. Felt

In the end, I like the idea of not being the guy who spreads nasty stuff in our rivers, but I don't much like the idea of being the guy who gets his favorite fishing hat washed every time he goes out, nor am I much in favor of chasing my had down stream or taking an unscheduled cold water bath. I mean, as a real fisherman, I take a bath once a month if I need it or not so why would I go falling in a cold river just to clean behind my ears?

I'd really like to give the rubber soled boots a try before "jumping in" (boo, couldn't help myself) and buying a pair.

1 comment:

  1. Jeff,
    I have a pair of Korkers with interchangeable soles. One pair is felt, and the other is studded rubber. I can hop-scotch around on the Clinch and SoHo without any slips or falls. However, everytime I wore my felt soles I was taking a dip. I am a huge fan of the Korkers Kling-On Sticky Rubber Soles, and highly recommend them.

    ReplyDelete